Thursday, September 22, 2011

Swirlyhues Challenge at Swirlydoos.com

Things over at Swirlydoos are crazy right now! So crazy that we just got our September kits!  Why is this such a big deal you ask? Well there is this new challenge called Swirlyhues. It's open for anyone who wants to participate. Requirements are that you use the sketch and only the colors they specify but we are also allowed to use black and white in moderation. The colors were inspired by the kits that we hadn't received yet. So I got to make my own kit from my existing stash! This was loads of fun. It's not due until October and I could have waited until I got my kit...but where's the fun in that?!

Here is the storyboard for the challenge so you can see the sketch and palette I had to use.


This is the finished piece. The title is Skate like no one is watching. This is a photo of my oldest son skating on his rip stick at a 4th of July party this year. The smaller photo on the right is a few years old but it's still my baby.



 Here is a close up of the flower cluster. I made these with my Big Shot and torn out pages from a waffle cookbook! Didn't they turn out fabulous?!


 Here is a closeup of the TA chippy frame. It's misted like crazy but it has this patina to it where it looks like tarnished metal. It's so cool.


 Here is a closeup of the vine.  I made the vine myself with stuff from my stash and an online tutorial. I painted one of the pearls with gesso and covered it in smooch to get the seafoam green color that was required.


 Part of the challenge was to use techniques from the Swirlydoos site. Here is a rusty hinge and paper distressing based on their tutorials.


I wanted to show my leaves off because they are crocheted leaves that I made! While I was off for my surgery my mother came over and taught me to crochet so I could make flowers and leaves for my scrapping. I painted them with TA Glimmer Glam so they would go better with the LO. 

That's my scrappy LO. Blogging a day earlier than usual. Who's a rebel now?! Can you handle it?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful job!!!! You did a great job with the techniques and I love your design! Thanks for playing along!!

    ReplyDelete